John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I recently uploaded Sierra to my iMac and now it will not

Customer Question

I recently uploaded Sierra to my iMac and now it will not recognize my Canon MX472 printer. I can print from my iPad but the iMac will not connect the printer. I have downloaded and installed the latest drivers from Canon but it still will not print.
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It has no done this before. It is about two years old and works fine with my iPad.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: It is an iMac running Sierra v. 10.12.1
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It has been an issue since I installed Sierra.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Ashik replied 17 days ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

First we can reset your printing system and see if it works or not.

1. Go to System Preferences from the Apple menu or from the Dock.
  2. Open Printers and Scanners or Print and Scan
  3. Hold down control and click (or Right click) on list of printers on the left side of the window, then choose "Reset printing system" from the contextual menu (or hold down Option key and click - button at bottom left and click Reset Printing System)

After resetting, your Printer will disappear from the list. Click the + button in there (in left corner) and add it back. Make sure you set the Use column as Canon Software not AirPrint.

Then try to print. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting

Note : this is not my final answer. If my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok. Instead please reply back to me and I will continue to help you until we fix the problem or until you are satisfied.

I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star rating. If you feel you've received anything less, please don't rate anything like bad or poor or ok. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied.