Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

Need help with set up for fax component, purchased printer a

Customer Question

need help with set up for fax component
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: purchased printer a few months ago in 2016
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: computer is windows
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: yesterday was time I tried to use fax
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Louie replied 15 days ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the printer.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Epson WF 3640
Serial Number is SEYY240191
Comlpulter is ACEr Veriton running win 10
when i try to connect for Fax it will not make a connection I have a modem and a router cable runs from wall to modem and then phone line to router and and router is wireless and the fax component is not making a connection and the sytem tells me that there is no phone connec tion
Expert:  Robert M. replied 6 days ago.

can you plug a phone into the phone jack on the modem that you are using for the fax

does that phone work ?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I believe that you should call Epson and yu as an expert can lean how to do this at your expense not mine, after all you are the expert who claims he cab solve all my problems all I have to do is send money.Come on expert et your act together and I may lose the sense that your a scammer.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 6 days ago.

I am certainly trying to do that. If i was in front of the machine i would have it working in about 5 minutes. But i need your help to accomplish it this way.

But the number 1 reason 90 % of the time that you have this issue is a problem with the phone line.

Now either the phone is plugged in the wrong jack either on the wall or the printer.

in which case it would probably say no dial tone

Or the phone line is just not good enough to do a high speed fax. This is very common when using an internet phone line

in this case it would make the call and try to sink up to the receiving fax and fail and say connection failed. Or it would make the connection and then say communication error before it could complete the fax.

If you tell me which it is then we can go forward with fixing it.

if the problem is with no dial tone than of course you have to make sure that the wall jack you are plugged into is working and that it is connected to the proper port on the printer. This port would have a symbol of or say wall. the one that has the symbol for a handset is for an extension phone to plug into. not the wall

if it is a problem with the communication than you have to lower the fax speed so that it can handle a lower quality internet phone line

• You can change the Fax Speed setting in the Fax Settings menu by selecting Setup > System Administration > Fax Settings > Basic Settings > Fax Speed.