John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

L Tried to load 546 xl and 564 black. HP photo smart 7520.

Customer Question

l Tried to load 546 xl and 564 black. HP photo smart 7520. printer will not work says cartridge missing. also printer offline. help
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: about 5 years old
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Toshiba about 1 year old
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: just purchased both but printer still says missing cartridge. I cannot see how to load both 564and 564 xl when in try to load just one the printer says cartridge missing. all other colors are in place.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I just purchased both
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

I think you may have either the wrong cartridge, or you are mixing them up.

Your printer uses 4 cartridges, and all of them must be present and full for the printer to operate. The 564 and 564xl are the same thing, just one holds more ink, you don't use both of them, just one or the other. Are you sure you have all the cartridges in the proper slots?
Are they genuine/oem hp cartridges, or generic/refilled ones?