John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Microsoft has, without my permission, set my printer to one

Customer Question

Microsoft has, without my permission, set my printer to one of theirs. I have an Epson XP-201printer. I cannot find a way to reset it to my printer preference.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I have Windows 10 and a new HP computer
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I sent that info. I have an HP P
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just today. I don't know what caused it.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: My printer choices are Microsoft pdf and two other Microsoft options
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Byron replied 22 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. In Windows 10,

click the start menu button and open Settings (the gear icon)

click Devices

from the menu on the left, click Printers & Scanners and tell me do you see your Epson listed under Printers & Scanners

Expert:  Byron replied 22 days ago.

Is the printer connected to your computer with a USB cable or is this a wireless printer?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
No, I so nor see the EpsonXP-1, only Microsoft print options. It is wirelss and worked until today. Now, in addition,when I type and go back to correct something, it writes over what I have written........in other words it erases it.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I WANT MY $5 DEPOSIT BACK. I WAS NOT INFORMED IT WOULD COST $39!!! I WILL REPORT YOU ALL OVER THE INTERNET IF YOU DO NOT RETURN MY MONEY.
Expert:  Byron replied 22 days ago.

That's only an optional offer. You don't have to accept it.

We can continue on this page.

Do you have other wireless devices that are able to print to the printer?

Is the Wi-Fi light on the printer lit solid blue?

Expert:  Byron replied 22 days ago.

This may just be a simple case of the printer losing its connection to the router.

Try this: turn off the printer and unplug the power cord from your router for 60 seconds.

After 60 seconds, plug the router back in and allow it 2 minutes to fully start up.

Then, turn on the printer and it will try to reconnect to the wireless network.

Then on your computer, click the start menu button and open Settings and click Devices.

Open Printers & Scanners and scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and open

Devices and Printer.

In the Devices and Printers windows click Add a Printer and your computer will attempt

to find the printer on the network.

Expert:  Byron replied 22 days ago.

If the printer isn't found. At the bottom click, in blue, "The Printer that I want isn't listed"

Select: "My printer is a little older. Help me find it" and click Next and it will search again.