Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

It is leaking ink on my printed copies, XP610 2 years old,

Customer Question

It is leaking ink on my printed copies
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: XP610 2 years old
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac OSX
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: less then a month, now it tells me I need new ink cartridges. Also the small ink pad under the cartridges when the carrier slides over is full of black ink
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: will changing the cartridges solve the problem
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 25 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 25 days ago.

You may have had a bad cartridge, or may have a faulty printhead.

Open it up as though changing the cartridges (so the head moves over) then use papertowels to blot up as much of the ink on the pad as you can (or even pull it out if you are able to, and wash it under warm running water). Then slide another towel, folded into a thin strip, under the printhead and pick up on both sides to rub back and forth to clean off the underside of the head. Repeat that with a papertowel with the middle moistened with some rubbing alcohol which will dissolve any remaining ink, and keep at it until it comes away clean and dry. Then go into the maintenance menu and run the head clean function, and finally try to print again and see if the problem continues.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I need to replace the ink cartridges before I can run it. I tried to remove the ink pad but couldn't. I will have to get. Ack to you in a couple of hours
Expert:  Nathan replied 25 days ago.

No problem, take your time.