cvd4311
cvd4311, Computer Analyst
Experience:  I have worked on printers at my job for over 7 years.
20109878

It won't print! It's an Epson WF-2540, Model WF-2540,

Customer Question

It won't print! It's an Epson WF-2540
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model WF-2540, purchased in 2013, 3 years ago
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC Windows 7
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just started, nothing happened beforehand
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

Expert:  Michelle replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you out and resolve the problem as quick as possible.

how is the printer connected to the computer usb or wireless?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's connected by usb cable
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 months ago.

let me know when you could be online.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can be online this afternoon. Will you be around today?
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 months ago.

Unplug and replug the printer just to make sure its connected fine. Uninstall the current printer driver already installed an then reboot the computer after removal.

Download and install the printer driver back from the link given below it contains the full featured driver software for the printer.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not sure how to uninstall the printer. In the start menu, there is an option called "devices and printers." When I click on that, I have the option to "remove" the printer. If I click on that, will the printer be "uninstalled?"
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 months ago.

let me know when you are online i can walk you through or if you want i can remote connect and get install and make it work for you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Michelle- Let me make clear what's going on with my printer. When I try to print a document or make a photocopy, the blank paper goes through the printer normally but still comes out blank. In other words, no ink is deposited on the blank paper so it still comes out blank. Thus, I don't think reinstalling the printer will work, do you? I really want to get this printer working again!
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 months ago.

In this case you would need to run the printer head cleaning 2 times and then head alignment. let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Cleaned the printer head three times and realigned the head twice. Paper still comes out blank as a white billiard ball.
Expert:  Michelle replied 7 months ago.

since the problem is there when copying as well, the issue seems to be a clogged printhead

as we have already attempted the automated cleaning, you may try a manual cleaning

remove the ink and use a cotton swab and alcohol to clean the nozzles of ink cartridge as well as printhead ensuring they are not clogged

then try printing and let me know

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I used a heavy duty paper towel soaked with rubbing alcohol to rub the print head, back and forth, until it was fairly clean. Then tried to print and nothing, no ink on paper. Doing a nozzle check, I saw that the colors were fine, but no black ink appeared. Thus, only the black ink nozzle is clogged and apparently, clogged pretty good. On Youtube, I saw how other people cleaned their nozzles using ammonia or Windex and water and a piece of aquarium tubing. One guy even removed the entire print head and soaked it in hot water for a spell. You can also buy a print nozzle cleaning kit for Epson printers that costs around $25 or so but this printer only cost me $35 new. Doesn't seem cost effective buying the cleaning kit - unless I have to use it for the rest of my life. So I'm off to the store to buy some tubing and some ammonia and will let the ammonia in the tube sit over the black print nozzle for hours, days, weeks, even years if I have to. Michelle, is it possible the black nozzle is clogged permanently? If not, can you recommend a better way to clean the black print nozzle?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for responding... I guess you have given up trying to help me...
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 months ago.
I guess we have tried all possible steps which has not fixed the problem however I will let other experts answer further as I am out of ideas.
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 6 months ago.

Question? Did you try replacing the blank ink cartridge since you have run it through the maintenance phase? I have a 2540 and it did the same thing and once I replaced the black ink only it started to print. I did find out that these printers run out very quickly.