John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

How do I clear the que? Turning the printer off and back on

Customer Question

How do I clear the que? Turning the printer off and back on does not always clear it. Better yet, if a print job is first in que and the second print job is waiting too how do i delete the first one to let the second one print. Frustrating. Most days there is no problem with jobs getting stuck, but then, like right now clearing the que completely is needed. Salvaging the second print job is preferred.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 8600 Plus is listed on the front. Age? 4 years?
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC Windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It happens in spurts.. No problem for weeks, a month, maybe two, and then this happens. We have had this pattern for going back to before this printer.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Printers
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Usually turning off the printer and unplugging it for a few seconds should work. If that didn't work, then right click on the stuck job and click Delete. If it is stuck at deleting job, then there are two methods to clear it,

First method :

Press Windows and X at same time and this will bring a pop up window. Select Command Prompt (Admin). Run it.

Then type the following commands exactly and press enter after each line

net stop spooler

del /F /Q C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS\*

net start spooler

Try to print.

Second method :

Press Windows and R keys and this will bring Run. Type services.msc and press enter

From the resulting window, find Print Spooler. Right click on it and select Stop.

Then press Windows and R to bring run again and type the following command press enter

%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\spool\PRINTERS

Delete all files from the resulting window (from the resulting Printers folder)

From the resulting window, find Print Spooler. Right click on it and select Start. Try to print now.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Note : this is not my final answer. If my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok. Instead please reply back to me and I will continue to help you until we fix the problem or until you are satisfied.

I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star rating. If you feel you've received anything less, please don't rate anything like bad or poor or ok. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied.

Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

Hi there, Just checking. How is it going ?