Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Epson printer 660 stopped printing black even though the

Customer Question

Epson printer 660 stopped printing black even though the cartridge was full. I replaced the cartridge but it still won't print black
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: WF 2660 the printer did exactly the same thing it was years old and I replaced it with the exact same printer 2 weeks ago I still have the box
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: windows 10 my computer is an ACER
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I replaced an empty black cartridge this happened on the old printer and same again on this one
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

So this printer is only 2 weeks old?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yep they replaced it this morning and they said they didn't have too, because i used a after market cartridge and it blocked the ink jets is this true?
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

That was going to be my next question, what kind of cartridges are you using?

Those aftermarket cartridges are specifically prohibited by epson (and every other printer company), not just because they want to sell their ink, but because the aftermarket inks are not the same quality. The pigments in them are not ground finely enough and cause clogs which then cause the printhead nozzles to overheat and subsequently permanently damage the printer. Even when they do manage to work ok they usually have poor print quality and it wears your printer out about 3 times faster than using the proper OEM inks. So if you have used the generics in the new printer too, the same damage has been done.

There are some intensive cleaning steps we can attempt that *may* be able to salvage it, if you'd like to try. It is not guaranteed to work though and ultimately you may end up having to replace it again. I wouldn't count on any more help from epson at this point if it has happened with another machine too.

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.