John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have a MG5420 with brand new ink cartridges but it won't

Customer Question

I have a MG5420 with brand new ink cartridges but it won't pring and the magenta and [big] black cartridges are lighted. The software shows ink full on all cartridges, but it won't print black text. How can I trouble shoot and fix?
JA: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?
Customer: Canon MG 5420 and Canon cartridges
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: MacOS Version Sierra 10.12.1
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: We were gone for a few months and a full black cartridge was showing a light on. We replaced this one and the Magenta who was showing low and now both have lights on - it will print color but not black
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just tell me how to fix it.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

If you try to make a copy from the glass, does that give you an error, or does it output a blank page?