Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

When I feed the paper being copied through the top feeder I

Customer Question

when I feed the paper being copied through the top feeder I get a black line on my copy. If I put the paper being copied on the scanner tray then I don't get the black line.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: its a canon pixma mx 882 purchased in aug 2011
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: printing from a pc, windows vista
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: just started yesterday. we were having problems with my wifes mac printing to the printer. If I place a paper in the top feed and hit the copy button on the printer the black line occurs on the copy. if i print something from the pc i don't get any lines. It appears to happen only when I use the top feed on the printer to make a copy. If I place the paper in the scan window I don't get the black line.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: At the time this occurred the printer won't print when the mac requests it to. This all occurred when that issue came up. My pc has no problems getting the printer to work and there is no black line when it prints upon a command from the pc computer.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 17 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 17 days ago.

This will be the result of contamination in the ADF. Lift the lid over the adf and check carefully with a flashlight for any scraps of paper, stray staples or paperclips, etc. Clean all exposed rubber wheels/rollers with qtips and rubbing alcohol. Blow it out with compressed air, then close it back up.

Lift the lid over the glass, then clean the underside of the lid on the far left side carefully, focusing on the thin plastic strip there (which is what guides the scanned page into the output tray), which is where the most dust tends to accumulate causing lines.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Expert:  Nathan replied 12 days ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.