Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Technical Support Coach at Liberty Tax Service
93584285

I am not able to print a clear page. It has a large smear

Customer Question

I am not able to print a clear page. It has a large smear that is covering my words on the left side
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: Laserjet 4220. It a couple of years old
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Windows/ Samsung
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Everything has been fine until we moved.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No Thankls
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 23 days ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

This error may need replacement parts, but we want to check first.

Also, please keep in mind, printers are difficult to determine issues as we cannot see the machine itself.

If the troubleshooting we do doesnt resolve the issue, please respond instead of closing out to continue.

There are certain ways we can test what is causing the smudging with the hp 4250 printer. The half way test as it is referred to will help isolate between the toner cartridge or the fuser assembly of the printer. To perform a half way test with the printer, put the paper in the tray 1. Start printing and once the paper is roughly 60% inside lift the toner access lid. The hp laserjet 4250 will stop and the paper will jam underneath the toner cartridge. Pull out the toner cartridge and inspect the paper that has printed. The toner has not yet been fused to the paper by the printer’s fuser, so you will just want to look at the page vs pull it out. If you notice smudges on the page then you can be certain the toner is smudging the print. If you do not see smudged print, then you can be certain the 4250 fuser unit is smudging the print.

Please follow the guide below and it will direct you to narrow down the issue:

http://www.printertechs.com/printer-troubleshooting/halfway-test

Please respond when done with results.

Please rate the 5 stars at the top of the page to close out this question as it is the only way i am

credited for the work done with clients. Or, reply to continue if further troubleshooting is necessary.

~Franklin