Electronics Pete
Electronics Pete, Engineer
Experience:  HNC Computing; Large format and multifunction printer expert
30970729

When I try to begin printing, the machine snaps or bangs, as

Customer Question

When I try to begin printing, the machine snaps or bangs, as if it cannot take hold of the paper, and then it begins and all seems to be well.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: HL 6180DW
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac, OSX 10.9.5
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It has been going on for a while, although it was just one little bang at the first. Don't know of any issue before it started. I have changed the drum and ink cartridge since it started.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Electronics Pete replied 20 days ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Have you checked for paper jams?

Do you get an error message when this occurs?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Occasionally I get a message to clear a paper jam. It's not usually until after an initial run. As I mentioned in the beginning, there are loud clicks as if it is trying to do something but is not succeeding. Most of the time the machine has run without much problem after that.
I am now getting a message that the drum will soon need to be replaced. As I did that at the end of August/the beginning of September, think this is rather early for the drum!!
Phl
Expert:  Electronics Pete replied 19 days ago.

The drum may be dirty if there is excess toner on it - try cleaning it and see if that helps with the drum message.

The noise you are hearing is likely due to a paper jam or a fault with the paper feed mechanism.

Check that the paper path is clear by manually pushing a thin piece of card all the way through the machine.

Also check that the paper feed rollers are in place, and nothing is missing or broken.