Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

My Canon MG 6120 doesn't print black, It is about 4 years

Customer Question

My Canon MG 6120 doesn't print black
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is about 4 years old. It has been printing properly until about two weeks ago when I installed OS 10.11.6. I downloaded new drivers from Canon also I have replace all ink cartridges and have removed the print head for cleaning. Still doesn't print black.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac - OS10.11.6
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It has been an issue since I installed OS 10.11.6. Everything worked fine up until then
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 27 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Does it still print color?

Tell me: have you run a simple one-page photocopy off the printer, using the printer's own control panel controls/buttons, since the upgrade to 10.11.6 ? I advise you to do so, using a one-page text original... to test whether the failure to print in black is the printer's fault, or a fault in the 10.11.6 operating system upgrade.

Let me know the result please - if it comes out blank, it's one thing, if the text comes out photocopied A-OK, it is another thing for sure, that is causing the problem.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
The printer copies perfectly
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
The printer prints all colours perfectly but no text

Text photocopies A-OK, then? except for black.

Then obviously the problem with black printing, is in the printer.

Do you agree? if so, we will proceed to try things to cure the problem.

The first thing is, to recollect how old the black ink cartridge is (it may simply need replacing, if old enough).

The second thing, is to check your ink levels on the printer. If the black cartridge is simply out of ink, replace it.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I'm giving up on this. I'll most likely buy another printer. Thanks for your time.

I'm still not quite sure what is wrong.

A. Photocopying black?

B. just with printing black from the computer?

C. Or both?

To replace the printer for cases A. being wrong/lacking, is surely not a good idea nor economical.

To replace the printer if C. is the problem yes, I can see that, and agree. Perhaps...

But just replacing the black cartridge may be all it needs, esp. if A. or C. are the problem.

I hope that whatever course you choose, works out fine. Thank you for asking your question here.