Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My printer 3500-4500, for first time stop working. it shows

Customer Question

John, my printer 3500-4500, for first time stop working. it shows on the screen the following. Cartridge Error, - Consult user guide. I don't have the User Guide. Please let me Know how to fix this problem. Joseph Gonzalez ,Owner of the print.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: John, my printer 3500- 4500 , the screen is showing, Cartridge Error-Consult the User Guide. How I can fix this problem. Thanks Joseph Gonzalez print owner.
JA: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?
Customer: Make Lexmark made in China 3500. MACHINE TYPE MODEL 4431-W12, TD-B. SERIAL #***********- 2007/05. FCC ID IYLN2050, IC -2376A-N2050. Bar code Mac 00-20-00-00-42.Cartridge Black 23, Color 23. Thanks for your help. Joe.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC-OS
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Two days, I open cover and get stock BY USB cable.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hello Joseph,

Unfortunately this symptom indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2007 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault. These lexmarks are widely regarded as the worst printers ever made, they were very poorly designed and built and have very high failure rates. They were so bad that lexmark nearly went bankrupt supporting all the warranty claims, and stopped making inkjets entirely shortly after this model.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $90, A logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,