Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

The printer head installed is not intended for this printer

Customer Question

The printer head installed is not intended for this printer or is damaged I have HP Officejet 6600 Thanks, Kevin The printer has been working for the last month?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your OfficeJet is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I believe a year old, HP Officejet 6600 I just bought the ca
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac Version 10.11.6 El capitan
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Nothing , I was able to print without an issue. This just happened last night when I was going to make a copy.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this time.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 24 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 24 days ago.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2011 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 18 days ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.