John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

It prints the top inch or two the first time then if you

Customer Question

it prints the top inch or two the first time then if you reprint it does fine
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: P1102W couple years it had been working fine till the last couple months
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: a few months
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That is a laser printer, and for a laser printer, what you mention is a highly unusual problem.

I could either simply tell you it is 'broken' and recommend repair-servicing... or I could take some time and determine a bit more, in detail, about the problem.

Assuming the latter approach would be your preference, I need to ask:

- is the first time you print, after a considerable interval, at least 10 or 15 minutes?

- if you get a page to print fully and A-OK, and you send another print job (at least one full page worth) fairly soon afterward, within 5 minutes afterward, what is the extent of the printer's failure to print properly? or does it do a within-5-minutes-afterward print job A-OK?

- and, How old is the printer, please?

Let me know, and I will advise you further.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it is hit and miss sometimes it keeps printing fine if you keep going but if you wait awhile it won't

Yes, that sounds like a broken printer.

Please let me know:

1 - is the first time you print, after a considerable interval, at least 10 or 15 minutes?

2 - if you get a page to print fully and A-OK, and you send another print job (at least one full page worth) fairly soon afterward, within 5 minutes afterward, what is the extent of the printer's failure to print properly? or does it do a within-5-minutes-afterward print job A-OK?

3 - and, How old is the printer, please?