Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Cant receive or send faxes on canon mp830

Customer Question

cant receive or send faxes on canon mp830
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 21 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 21 days ago.

Are you getting an error message? Does it ring?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
It doesnt ring and when i try to send fax it goes through the machine theres sounds like a number being called then it reads auto redial
Expert:  Nathan replied 21 days ago.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) Is this a dedicated fax line, or a shared voice/fax line?
2) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)
3) Do you have dsl service on the same line?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Its a shared voice fax but im plugged directly into rhe jack right now
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
it straight from the machine to the wall jack
Expert:  Nathan replied 21 days ago.

Okay check that the cord on the back of the canon is plugged into the #1 line/wall jack (not to the #2 tel/ext jack).

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Its plugged into the bottom jack titled with an L
Expert:  Nathan replied 21 days ago.

Okay that is the correct position.

Can you temporarily disconnect the canon and plug just a regular corded/wall phone into that jack, to make sure you can get a dial tone on it?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Have dial tone
Expert:  Nathan replied 21 days ago.

Okay plug the canon back in, then plug the phone into the upper jack on the canon, and see if you can get a dial tone on the phone that way

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
i have a dial tone when i plugged my phone into the top jack
Expert:  Nathan replied 21 days ago.

Thank you for checking.

Okay so it is passing the signal through, but the canon is not able to engage the line, which means a faulty relay or defective fax modem inside.

This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).
This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2006 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this machine was designed and built for only a 3 year service life.
There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release
If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.
This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point it is time for a new printer. While it can be fixed, it is not practical to do so. You'd be in the $200+ range to have it repaired. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new parts for an older printer.
Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.
Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 16 days ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.