cvd4311
cvd4311, Computer Analyst
Experience:  I have worked on printers at my job for over 7 years.
20109878

It seems the cartridges in my Hp Office Jet 6700 1. dry out

Customer Question

It seems the cartridges in my Hp Office Jet 6700
1. dry out pretty quickly, and
2. the ink printed must dry quickly on the paper.
These 2 prerequisites tell me, that the printing ink contains most likely alcohol.
The question is what percentage of alcohol?
Knowing that, one could reconstitute the drying ink by adding alcohol.
Category: Printers
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 6 months ago.

There can be many reasons why ink cartridges dry out (not using them enough, bad ink cartridges etc). As far as alcohol the percentages in them are very little (from my understanding less than 1% if any). Not all ink cartridges dry quickly on paper. Some takes a few minutes. I do know that you can fill with a drop of water if you have a kit and it usually works for awhile. Most people suggest that you can add a few drops of ammonia to the ink to keep it from drying up or to get a dried up ink cartridges back working again.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The fact that a well sealed ink cartridge dries out fairly quickly suggests that a fast evaporating liquid is used to thin the ink. There is very little smell, so my question is what is used to thin the ink.
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 6 months ago.

How long was the ink cartridge sitting? Did the printer go unused? Was the printer turned off for a long period of time? Air also degrades the ink cartridge and makes it evaporate. I have not found out that there are any alcohol used in ink cartridges to dry them out. If the ink cartridge is already loaded into your printer it is not well sealed, it is already considered as used. If it is still in the plastic wrap then the ink cartridge could be defective.

Expert:  cvd4311 replied 6 months ago.

I did find this in an article but it doesn't clarify what drying agents are used in ink: inks also contain additives such as waxes, lubricants, surfactants, and drying agents to aid printing and to impart any desired special characteristics.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You don't know what thinner is used in ink cartridges? First of all there is no other access to an ink cartridge but a spring loaded ball seal, which allows in a minimum of air when installed. This is how the cartridge dries out, and why we should be able to replace that liquid occasionally. The thinner must be very volatile, yet with a minimum of odor. Did you check for flammability yet?
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 6 months ago.

2-Pyrrolidone 616-45-5 210-843-1 <10 Xi; R36/37/38

Isopropyl alcohol 67-63-0 200-661-7 <5 F; Xi; R11-36-67

Carbon black 1333-86-4 215-609-9 <5 not classified

Water 7732-18-5 231-791-2 > 50 not classified

This is what is in almost all ink cartridges. As above in previous conversation it does contain less than 1% alcohol.

Expert:  cvd4311 replied 6 months ago.

Good morning do you still need help with this question?