Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I am not able to power it on. it powered on for a fleeting

Customer Question

I am not able to power it on. it powered on for a fleeting moment, and then shut back down
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: brother mfc-j4710dw purchased in 2014
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: pc os10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: just today, and I don't recall doing anything to cause it
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have renovation contractors in, and they may have pulled on the power cord, but not sure.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 24 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 24 days ago.

Did you see any error messages? Have you checked that it is plugged in fully right now, but you still get nothing on screen?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
No errors. And it is fully plugged in.
Expert:  Nathan replied 24 days ago.

Thank you for confirming,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or logic board. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc). That could coincide with breakers being flipped and other contractor work.

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2013 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this machine was designed and built for only a 3 year service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point it is time for a new printer. While it can be fixed, it is not practical to do so. You'd be in the $150 range to have the internal power supply replaced, and a logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 19 days ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.