Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

N 3222 that just stopped working. None of the manual's

Customer Question

n 3222 that just stopped working. None of the manual's repair works. Please help.
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: The make is Canon 3222 Two years old
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: HP 15 Microsoft 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It started two days ago nothing poped up except it said it was offline
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is enough
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Are you getting any error lights or messages on the printer itself (not on the computer)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No and no messages on the printer
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I'll just need to buy a new printer
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

There aren't any lights at all, as though it is not even turning on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The wii lights and off on lights work
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Okay if you try to make a copy, from the glass, does that work?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No that doesn"t work either
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

What happens when you do try? Any flashing lights or other indicators on top?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Okay,

This is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Then remove the input paper supply.

Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Next remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage. Next take a piece of heavy paper like card stock and push that through the rollers (feed path) to dislodge any last bits of paper that may be stuck.

Slide the paper guides to the center then back out, fan the front edge of the paper stack, and replace the paper supply.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Nathan I tried all the things you told me todo and nothing worked.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for trying,

unfortunately the persistence of the error at this point would then confirm an internal hardware failure.

These printers are designed for a maximum service life of only 3 years, but in reality the economy models tend to last only for a year or two under real world use.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would be looking at $200+ in repair costs. For $50-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new parts for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.