Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

Turned on my HP4500Envy and found that the the printer is

Customer Question

Turned on my HP4500Envy and found that the the printer is offline. Tried all the suggestions and the printer still does not go back online
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: It's the 450e all in one series.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: MacBook OS 10.6.8. Never been a problem.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Could not send an email because the MAil would not accept password. Called provider, changed password, working fine, printer still offline
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Printers
Expert:  tyroneboman replied 4 months ago.

Hi ,

My name is***** am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

I will be glad to assist you with this.

The best option will be to use a screen connect remote session so that I can connect to your computer directly and do this for you.

I will send you the info.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Let's do it the most economical way

HP has a tool called HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and resolve printing and scanning problems. Download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor<<<click here<< to quickly and automatically perform several troubleshooting tasks known to resolve this issue. When this link is clicked, HP Print and Scan Doctor is downloaded using your Internet browser's download capabilities.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a mac. You sent me a PC doc
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are we still connected?

yes,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No

go to the printer lcd control panel and Print the report from the Network Settings or Network Setup menu. Let me know the network connectivity please.

There should be a solid blue wireless light on the printer if it is still connected to your network.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The blue light is slowly flashing
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
8230; about 1/sec.Are you still there?

okay, that means it is not connected.

1. Turn the printer, computer and router OFF.
  2. Disconnect the power cord from the printer and router.
  3. Wait 30 seconds.
  4. Reconnect the power cord to the printer and router.
  5. Turn the router on and wait until it is on and ready. The wireless LED on the router should be ON.
  6. Turn the printer and computer ON and wait until both are Ready.

Then if it is still blinking try these steps please>

1. The Wireless Setup Wizard, which you run from the printer's control panel. (Not available for printers without a touch display)
  2. Make sure you know your network name and your security password (WEP, WPA, or WPA2).
  3. On the printer's control panel, go to the Network menu or touch the wireless icon and then go to settings. Select Wireless Setup Wizard. The Wireless Setup Wizard displays a list of wireless networks in the area. Note: Settings may be accessed by touching a wrench icon, depending on the product model.
  4. Select your wireless network's name from the list.
  5. If you don't see your wireless network listed, you can enter your network name manually by scrolling to the bottom of the list. If you enter the name manually it must be exact, including upper and lower case characters.
  6. Enter your WEP key or WPA passphrase. You must enter the key or passphrase exactly, including upper and lower case characters. Your printer should connect to your wireless network. If it does not connect, you are given the opportunity to print a Wireless Network Test report that will help you find out what may be wrong.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If I turn the computer off, how do I get back to you?

bookmark the page, you can click on it and come back. There is also a link in your email.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Too complicated. The Printer only cost me 39$, and I can still get a refund. No more HP products for me, thank you very much.I presume that I get a refund for a totally unsatisfactory experience.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you still there?Not your fault, of course.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Yo Randy. Where are you?
Expert:  dukey01 replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** the interruption. My fault for not reading everything.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What happened to Randy?We have not finished
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Why? I need my printer now.I hope you're not charging me for this schmozzle.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The printer says it's offline
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I am pleased to have the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. i am sorry that you have not received the assistance that you need, and I can give it to you now. What is your computer operating system?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Byron, where are you?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you serious?To whom am I talking, anyway?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Mac OS 10.6.8

You have had two previous experts opt out. I am Joel, and I will work with you until your problem is solved.

"What do you mean by this statement: Could not send an email because the MAil would not accept password"?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How could the two previous experts opt out, Joel?That issue has been resolved by my IPS. It was a password *****

In my opinion, they gave you too much information without seeking feedback from you to determine what was actually needed to solve your problem. I am glad that your problem has been solved. Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you serious? Where do I say that the problem is solved?WHen I try to print, I still get the message that, "This computer appears to have a working internet connection, but cannot find "HP ENVY 4500 series [F12038]._ipp._tcp.local.". You may have typed the address incorrectly.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Another new tech. WHat happened to Joel?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Why is this turning into a comedy of errors?Except I'm not laughing

You said "That issue has been resolved by my IPS. It was a password *****" I thought that you meant that it was your only problem. I can work with you to install the printer drivers now that your printer is connected to your wifi network.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
WHy don't we work on the assumption that my Mac was hacked and we need to correct the address as stated above

Why don't you los the attitude and start communicating about solving the problem instead of bringing up all these side issues. I do not work on hacked systems. If you want to take this step by step, I know what needs to be done. Let'sstart there.

You may have been communicating clearly all along, but there has been so much extraneous information introduced by the experts, that I am not clear at all about what you are referring to when you say "we need to correct the address as stated above".

I apologize for my attitude. I just want to solve your problem and not talk about anything else. I have a procedure that always works, and I can give your the directions interactively when the time is good for both of us to cooperate.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The first guy seemed to think there was a tv problem, the second guy sent me a program for a PC, the third guy… oh, that's you, talks like a sitcom character.
At the top of the page I state that my printer was offline.
But let me start from the beginning: I have a MacBook, autumn of 2008 vintage, running OS 10.6.8. I have an HP ENVY 4500 all in one series which drinks ink like it was on sale. But no operating problems. I sent a page to the printer this AM and got back the message, "This computer appears to have a working internet connection, but cannot find "HP ENVY 4500 series [F12038]._ipp._tcp.local.". You may have typed the address incorrectly." So I did all of the usual things: turned off the hardware, then restarted everything, and got the same message about having typed the address incorrectly.
So, I would expect that the first thing to find out is whether the computer and the printer are speaking to each other. Maybe not. Up to you.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Has Joel really referred me to a new technician. Well, let's see how sharp #4 is
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will be back at my computer around noon or later. Talk to you then.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm back at my computer.

Now we are moving forward now with the installation procedure. This thorough method that I have developed.always works. First, please do the following:

Reset Printing System - If there are no other printers installed on the mac, the printing system should be reset, in order to guaranty a clean installation. Use Apple icon in the top left corner of your screen to select System Preferences. Open the Printers & Scanners window. Hold the CTRL key down and user the select button on you mouse to click anywhere in the left side of the printer window. The select Reset Printing System on the menu.

Now we are moving forward with the installation procedure. This thorough method that I have developed, always works. First, please do the following:

[If there are other working printers, instead of resetting the printing system, just remove the print server icons for the printer that is not working, and skip resetting the printing system, since it may not actually be necessary. If it becomes necessary, It may have to be done later, followed by a reinstallation of the printer we are working on an addition of the other printers to restore them.]

Reset Printing System - If there are no other printers installed on the mac, the printing system should be reset, in order to guaranty a clean installation. Use Apple icon in the top left corner of your screen to select System Preferences. Open the Printers & Scanners window. Hold the CTRL key down and user the select button on you mouse to click anywhere in the left side of the printer window. Then select Reset Printing System on the menu.

Please let me know when you have completed the first step, and I will give you the next step. Each step must be

Each step must be done in the order given in order for the process to work.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK, I'm back. I went through the steps but got stymied at the step requiring me to click anywhere in the printer window while pressing CTRL.Problem is, where is the printer window?

Use the Apple icon in the top left corner of your screen to select System Preferences. Open the Printers & Scanners window.

Here is a link to an illustrated article that explains in more detail:

http://osxdaily.com/2015/01/09/reset-print-system-mac-os-x/

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please do not communicate with me via my cell phone. It only has voice features.Please continue using this system unless you want to speak to me via my phone

I have not sent any text messages to your cell phone. A notification email goes out automatically after each of my replies.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Gues the email is faster than this process.OK. I did as requested about resetting the printer but non of the passwords I tried works.

If your user account is the only account on your mac, you should have administrator privileges. The password ***** is must the password ***** you use to login to your mac after you restart it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Joel, are we communicating via this website. I keep getting emails and cellphone messages.

Yes, I have an interactive chat session display. A notification message goes out to your email address each time I reply to you. I am not aware of any text messages. Are you getting those too, or are they the same emails going to your smartphone?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I get email messages on my computer and notifications on my cellphone of a message. But I won't pay any attention to these and just wait for your reply on this sstem
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just to remind you of the message: This computer appears to have a working internet connection, but cannot find "HP ENVY 4500 series [F12038]._ipp._tcp.local.". You may have typed the address incorrectly."How can I check on this? Where do I find this info?

There are several steps in the process. Allow me to remind you that you had a password ***** executing the first step.

I am going to give you the whole procedure, so that you will know what is involved and where we are going with it. hen you can let me know where you are having problems. Here is the procedure:

Uninstall Printer Software - Use Finder to open the System Preferences > Applications folder and locate the subfolder for your printer. Drag the entire folder into the Trash folder.

Restart Computer System - Use the Apple icon to restart your computer operating system. You can rejoin this conversation by selecting the link in your notification email.

Download Printer Software - Select the following link to download the Full Feature Printer Software and Driver package for your printer and operating system:

LINK FOR SPECIFIC PRINTER FROM OFFCIAL MANUFACTURER'S SUPPORT WEBSITE

Install Printer Software - If you do not see a Run button, use your Finder to locate the downloaded printer file in the Downloads Folder. Use the select button on the mouse to select the heading on the Date column and sort the download files by date, so that the required file is at the top of the list. Select the file to open it, and follow the prompts to install the software.

Print Test Page - Use Apple icon in the top left corner of your screen to select System Preferences. Open the Printers & Scanners window. Highlight the print server icon for your printer and use the menu button on your mouse to open the Print Properties menu. Select the Print Test Page button in the Printer Properties dialog box.

When you have completed all the steps above, you will no longer receive the error message that you have sent me several times now.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry, but I must leave until 4:00PM EST
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry, but I must leave until Wed, 4:00PM, EST

Fine. I must leave too. We will catch up later.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm back. My cable guy just left from adjusting a few things concerning reception and now the communication among computer, router and printer are back to normal.I hope this is costing me nothing.Thank youSteve IlkThank you

You are welcome. At Just Answer we guarantee your satisfaction with our service or you do not have to pay.