John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Well....my dad just gave me a printer to use for a college

Customer Question

Well....my dad just gave me a printer to use for a college with a toner cartridge already inside. However, when I turn it on, it says that I need to install one. I already checked for any paper jam and there is none
JA: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using? Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: LaserJet Pro 400 M401dn Just a simple black cartridge
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC. Using a HP Pavilion
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Well, I was going to set it up a couple days ago when the message popped up. This is my first try with it
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  technicalcat replied 26 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service.

Sorry you are having trouble. I will help you now.

What is the exact error message you are reading on the printer?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
34;Insert Black Cartridge"
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I'm a little tight on time so just wanna see if there is a quick and easy solution
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
hello?
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
how long do you think this process will take?

The fastest way to solve this would be phone support. I send you an offer for that. If you would like me to call you, please accept that offer.

This shouldn't take that long to solve, but it may involve replacing the toner cartridge, depending on the problem.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Could we just discuss here, if that's ok with you?
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
replacing the toner cartridge may take a bit of time for me

Yes replacing the cartridge will not be a quick or easy solution, but all I can do is give you the best advice to fix. Will you be satisfied, even if you have to replace the cartridge?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I guess so. Back to the question though, what should I be looking for or trying to do to fix the problem other than getting another cartridge?

Please take the cartridge out of the printer. Let me know if you see any brightly colored tape or plastic attached to it. Also, tell me if you are able to spot an HP logo on the cartridge , or a part number sticker with information from HP, or another aftermarket manufacturer on it. Thanks.