Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

The "Paper Jam" warning keeps coming up and my printer

Customer Question

The "Paper Jam" warning keeps coming up and my printer doesn't work. I did have a paper jam, which I cleared. I have also followed all directions to try to check for any other paper. I can scan, but not print. My printer is MFC- J630W ; Please advise what I should do next, Thank you!
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

This is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Then remove the input paper supply.

Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Next remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage. Next take a piece of heavy paper like card stock and push that through the rollers (feed path) to dislodge any last bits of paper that may be stuck.

Slide the paper guides to the center then back out, fan the front edge of the paper stack, and replace the paper supply.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

I’ve attempted to accept your call request, but it appears to have failed on your end due to a payment issue. You may need to increase your deposit or clear a security hold on your account. I’ll resend a new phone offer from my end that may be more readily processed. If you prefer to continue here in chat, that is fine too. Just let me know either way.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your detailed instructions, Unfortunately, they did not work. After I completed them, I got " Paper Jam - Pull Handle and open back cover: I used compressed air to clean it and reset the machine. Also - I was not able to push the photo stock paper I had thru the rollers, so I did not complete that step. Would a phone call be better or for you to take over the printer ?
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

A call would be more productive and less cost for you, there is nothing I could do remotely as it is hardware related at this point.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I got a call from the fraud dept. of my credit card company, they will now approve the charge- since they know it is me requesting it ! :)
Please try it again,
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Okay let me send it again, just click on that accept or get service button

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.