Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My Epson wf-2760 ran out of black ink, so i replaced the

Customer Question

My Epson wf-2760 ran out of black ink, so i replaced the cartridge with a new one. Now it won't "fill in" any black, only outlines.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 4 weeks old, at the most.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac OS X El Capitan
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: just happened an hour ago. It didn't tell me that black was even low, it just ran out. So when I replaced it, the outline started happening.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The only other issue was that in the life of this printer, every time I replaced a cartridge the black ink would "leak" for the first 3-4 pages and then get better after that. Which would explain why the printer didn't know I was low on black ink.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.
If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, if needed.
Best regards,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
To go back when the printer first acted up it was just after replacing the black cartridge that ran out (the printer did NOT indicate black was low). I replaced the black and it will not print black at all now. I ran the print head cleaning 5 times and the print samples are all not good. When I print in greyscale only it prints nothing. Whats next?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I should add I uninstalled the printer driver shut everything down, waited 5 minutes, turned it all on and installed the printer driver with no improvement.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Can you please try making a copy, from the glass (in black mode) and let me know if that comes out blank as well?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Could I have a refund of the $23 please?
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

This is intended to be an ongoing conversation, I cannot provide a resolution without the requested details.

We are all independent techs here, so I have no access to any billing matters; I'm just the tech spending my own personal time trying to help.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I didn't mean any disrespect, I was just a little misguided by the process. At first it said it was $5, then it charged me $23 on paypal. I ended up returning the printer. I'll go to billing dept. Thanks!