Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I am getting a 5b00 error message on my canon MG 5220

Customer Question

I am getting a 5b00 error message on my canon MG 5220 computer.
How do I get this off
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 26 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 26 days ago.

Unfortunately, there is no quick or easy fix here. This message indicates a hardware problem, specifically that that the internal "ink absorber system" is full. The ink absorber is a series of pads/tanks, which catch drips from the printhead when parked, and is also used for maintenance tasks like cleaning and purging.

Eventually this absorber fills up, and the printer shuts down operations, as continuing to operate it can result in ink overflowing the system, damaging your desk, flooring, etc

While it is sometimes possible to temporarily reset the counter, this is dangerous as the system will likely overflow. Cleaning/emptying/replacing the system is a difficult and messy process as well, best left to a qualified service technician. This service is generally not practical though - it's going to run you $150-250 for repairs, which just isn't worth it for an older printer. This is a 6 year old model, that was built for a service life of only 3 years. If you have reached the point that the absorber has filled, then other wear items like the printhead, feed rollers, etc are also going to be at the end of their lives and need service/replacement soon.

Given the costs and complexity of fixing this issue, you'd be better off replacing the printer. You can get a brand new and better machine, with current technology and a fresh warranty, for about $80, which makes more sense than investing in the older machine.

I can recommend replacement options for you if you'd like, or if you'd prefer to try having it serviced or working on it yourself, I can advise further on those options. Replacement would be your best bet though, economically speaking.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I want to try and fix myself , what do I do ???
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
no, I would like to try and fix myself
Expert:  Nathan replied 26 days ago.

It is not something you can fix yourself,

you could empty/clean it yourself, but even if you do so, it still would not function without the counters being reset and that is not something you can do yourself. Doing so requires the use of a special software utility which is only accessible to authorized service shops, and that alone would cost more than the price of a new printer.

Expert:  Nathan replied 26 days ago.

I can guide you through the cleaning, and help you find a shop that can reset, which will save you some cost, but it will still be $100+ just for the reset.

Expert:  Nathan replied 26 days ago.

With those costs in mind, how would you like to proceed? If you'd like to have it serviced please give me your zip code, and I can explain about the cleaning portion that you are able to do yourself. If you prefer to replace it, which is what I would recommend (it is only a matter of time before your printhead fails too), I can advise on some other options.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I want nothing more from you. You did not help me at all.
Best Buy Geek Squad just told me how to fix it.
Do not bill me....
Expert:  Nathan replied 26 days ago.

You paid already, but I can certainly put in a refund for you.

Please do not reply further and do not rate, either will prevent me from helping with the refund.