Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My Canon 880 is out of Magenta ink. I just want to scan, but

Customer Question

Hi Pearl! My Canon 880 is out of Magenta ink. I just want to scan, but it's not letting me do anything. I mean ANYTHING! What can I do?
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Can't give you definitive answer to either
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac OS 10.11.6
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Don't know. Nothing. I've printed on this printer before from my computer; never scanned before. The point is, I can't ever ACCESS the scanner.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

If any of the inks are empty, the printer will not allow any functions to operate until it is replace.
Even if you only want to scan, it is not permitted until that ink is replaced, you must have all inks, black and color, loaded and in place to use any functions of the machine.

This is a software restriction, as operating the printer with any inks empty prevents it from running its normal maintenance operations and leads to the print nozzles drying out which can damage the printer permanently.

If you need a link to order the proper ink, I can provide that for you.

My apologies for the news.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,