crash2199
crash2199, Technician
Experience:  5+ years as Tech
50836188

How do I select for a document to print on BOTH SIDES of the

Customer Question

How do I select for a document to print on BOTH SIDES of the paper?
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: MFC-J4710DW
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: OS X El Capitian
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: No issue. I don't normally need to print both sides of the paper but want to now. I know it can as I accidentally did awhile back on another print out. I wasn't aware it COULD do this. I NEED it to now.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO. Just how do I select to print BOTH SIDES of the paper on a multi-page document. Not seeing it under General or advanced or anywhere to choose it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  crash2199 replied 1 month ago.

Hi!

1. Within the application you wish to print from choose the print option.
  2. In the Print dialog box, to the right of Copies check on Two-Sided check box.
  3. From the Application dropdown, choose Layout.
  4. Choose Long-edge binding or Short-edge binding in Two-Sided.

5. Some types of print media may need more drying time when using the 2-sided(duplex) feature. If you have problems with smudged 2-sided(duplex) prints or paper jams, you may configure the Advanced Duplex Settings:
    1. From the Application dropdown, choose Print Settings.
    2. Click Advanced.
    3. Click Advanced 2-sided Settings. You may choose one of the following settings from the dropdown menu:
      • Normal: Choose this option to print at normal speed, using a normal amount of ink.
      • 2-sided 1 (Slower print speed): Choose this option to print at a slower speed, using a normal amount of ink.
      • 2-sided 2 (Slower print speed & less ink): Choose this option to print the same speed as 2-sided 1, but using less ink.
  6. To save this preference for future 2-Sided(Duplex) printing:
    1. Choose Save As... or Save Current Settings as Preset... from the Presets dropdown box.
    2. Type a name for the Preset and click OK.
  7. Click PRINT. The document will print with the chose options.

If you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 3 stars or higher and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.