John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Trying to set up wireless printer. I am a complete dinosaur

Customer Question

HI trying to set up wireless printer. I am a complete dinosaur when it comes to tech stuff. I have the paper and ink all set, now need to connect to wireless source.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: brother LC201 brand new
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC OS???? no sure what you mean? I have Charter Communications for my phone internet and TV
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I'm just trying to set it up now. Does it automatically pick up my internet sourse? Should I just try printing something?
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I know it does faxing, I don't have a phone connection near the printer so I guess I'll pass on that function.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

You need to manually connect it to your internet (modem or router). What is the exact model number of your printer ? You can see the model number on the box.

Also, do you have the Wireless network/WiFi password ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
P875-S7102 Not sure if I have a password ***** not???
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

That is not the model number of the printer. There should be another model number after Brother. You should see it on the box of printer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's o.k., I didn't realize this would cost this much. Thanks but no thanks.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

If you are talking about remote support offer, then it is optional offer sent by this site. You don't need to accept it and I can send you instructions in here for the original payment you made.

To send you instructions, I need to know the model number of your printer. Don't you see it on the box of printer ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
MFC-J480dw
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did I lose you?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

I'm here. Writing the instructions

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hehe o.k. thanks
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

There are several methods to connect it to your network. The best one is by using your laptop.

Do you have any USB cable came with your printer ? It looks like this, but may have different color --> http://driver-pro.com/static/images/article-content/usb-printer-installation-tutorial/usb-printer-cable.jpg

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a phone connection and the main power cord.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Are you sure you don't have it. Most printer comes with that cable. Can you check the box again ? That cable helps to establish the WiFi connection easily

If you don't have it, then we have to connect manually from the printer itself. For that, we need the WiFi password. It is the password ***** use to connect your devices to WiFi network. Don't you know it ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

On the Printer, press Settings. Use the arrow buttons choose Network > WLAN > Setup Wizard and enable WLAN if asked. Then it will find your WiFi network. Select your WiFi network and enter your WiFi password (the password ***** by your internet provider - you may see this password ***** the bottom or back of the router/modem). Then follow the onscreen instructions to connect it to your WiFi network. Once you are connected to your WiFi network, please let me know and I will send you instructions to add the printer on computer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm giving up for now, thanks anyway. I have to get to work.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

We can continue later. Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me later and we can continue then.

Have a great day,