John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have an Epson WF-3540. I just changed the yelow ink

Customer Question

I have an Epson WF-3540. I just changed the yelow ink cartridge which was low with an Epson 126 yellow cartridge. I was trying to print a document from WORD which was highlighted in bold red. The printout was consistently light yellow and unreadable. I changed the first new cartridge with another Epson 126 yellow, but my printout for Red only is the same unreadable yellow. I tried printing in bold black, blue, purple and green and they all print out fine. But i need to print in red. Can you help me?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: The exact model is Epson WF-3540. I have had it for several years. I also own an Epson WF 7610 Precision Core printer which I bought last year on sale and IT HAS NEVER WORKED!
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I am using a PC with Windows 07 operating system. This is a brand new computer (about one old) a desktop. I just printed this same document yesterday with no problems.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It's been an issue since yesterday when a pop-up window indicated my yellow ink was low and needed replacement. I ran out to Office Max yesterday and bought the 126/127 set of color/black and white cartridges. Today I used that new cartridge to replace the old one. When it still wouldn't print properly I found an older cartridge (about 6 months old) from a set of cartridges I both over the summer and used that yellow cartridge. Same unreadable results.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's it. I have been out of work almost a year. I am completing an interview assignment for a possible job. I really need to print out this document in the appropriate colors. Thanks.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Since I've never contacted Epson for help before, I don't know the procedure. What happens now? I need to leave my computer for a few minutes because I broke my ankle two days ago and I need to put my foot up for a few minutes. Is that okay or do I need to sit here?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially and for test purposes, try the COPY function on an old color printed document particularly with something in red.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry it took so long. I just copied a document with a lot of red color in it and it only printed in faded out yellow. This was after I changed the magenta cartridge as well. Prior to this the magenta cartridge was half full. Still no red and now I cannot print in purple or dark blue.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No thank you. ***** am just going to purchase a new printer. Can you tell me how I can cancel this free trial and NOT BE CHARGED A MONTHLY FEE FOR SERVICE?
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your kind understanding of machine generated / automated systems ads and offers.

Still, have you checked and/or tried performing a print head cleaning ?