Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a cannon printer mb2020 with a error code 5040 and

Customer Question

I have a cannon printer mb2020 with a error code 5040 and cant resolve it
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: no
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: laptop with windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: just today
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a failed logic board and in many cases the printehad as well.

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2014 model printer, it is well into its designed maximum 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; for the logic board you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,