John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have a new MX492 printer - but it won't work with my Mac

Customer Question

I have a new MX492 printer - but it won't work with my Mac OS 10.6.8 operating system. Is there a fix? - the store won't let me take it back.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It's a Canon MX492 and I just bought it in its original box. Do I need to look for special markings to tell the date?
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I'm printing from a MAC OS X 10.6.8. I can't upgrade the operating system becaue some of the crucial programs will not work on the upgrades.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: My previous printer was a Canon MX410 which worked great until it quit picking up the paper and sending it through. Ergo, I got this printer (MX492) which won't work with my computer as it stands
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there a fix, e.g. is there a special driver to make the two work together?
Category: Printers
Expert:  IT Miro replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 5 months ago.

Please tell me if you connected the printer to your Mac computer using a printer cable or another way?

Thanks,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The printer can be connected through wifi or USB. I tried both but it won't print. I tried downloading a driver from Canon but it wouldn't download. Is there a driver I can use to make this printer work?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just answer the question.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 5 months ago.

There are no special drivers you need to install for that particular printer model. The drivers should be contained in the MAC OS X 10.6.8 which means the printer should work once connected to the computer.

May I know what exactly happens when you connect a printer USB cable to the computer?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You haven't answered my question and I don't think by running around in my computer will help. Since you have a "money back guarantee" I expect to get all my money back
Expert:  IT Miro replied 5 months ago.

My last reply was:

There are no special drivers you need to install for that particular printer model.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 5 months ago.

Did you get my reply?

Expert:  IT Miro replied 5 months ago.

If the printer is still not working, I can check the issue over a secure remote assistance. That will allow me to run troubleshooting since I am unable to do so via this chat.

If you would like that, let me know.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 5 months ago.

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. Let me know by sending me a reply below.

Thanks,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 5 months ago.

Hello!

Let me know if you were able to receive my messages.