John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have an MP490 and getting error message 5B00 and to

Customer Question

I have an MP490 and getting error message 5B00 and to contact the service center
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: Cannon MP490 PIXMA
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: iMac I don't know the system the computer was purchased in 2009.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: it started this morning. We used to get an organ notice but hit okay and that allowed us to print
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Bhavik Joshi replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Bhavik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will reply back ASAP.

Try below steps and let me know how it goes for you :-

Step #1:
First, turn your canon printer off.

Step #2:
Now, press and hold the stop/reset button down. It should look like this on your printer:

Step #3:
While holding the stop/reset down, press the on/off button on the printer. This will turn the printer on and off again.

Step #4:
Let go of the stop/reset button and press it again two (2) times in a row, with light, tapping motions. Please remember to keep the on/off button pressed while doing this.

Step #5:
Let go of all the keys you were pressing down and wait until rest appears on your screen.

Step #6:
Touch the stop/reset button again for five (5) more consecutive times and, finally, press the on/off button two (2) times very quickly.