John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have a new Dell computer and I need to install my Brother

Customer Question

I have a new Dell computer and I need to install my Brother printer, for which I have a disc. Which of the many choices should I choose for the printer port. I selected one blindly and it doesn't seem to work.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Brother is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It's a MFC-2700DW, purchased within the last six months .Windows 10 killed the previous computer, thus a new one.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Dell PC XPS tower with Windows 10 OS
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: We've had the computer a couple of weeks and trying to install the printer has been an intermittent exercise in between things like life.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: When I go to install the printer in the settings display and click on "I have a disc" I get this laundry list of ports to select from and I have no idea which one to choose. The printer itself is plugged into a USB port, but that's not on the list.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Lorenz Vauck replied 1 month ago.

Dear Client,

thank you very much for your question. My name is***** and I will be assisting you today.

Would you be interested in letting me analyze and solve this problem for you directly at your computer via a remote connection? We can then look up what is going on and which are the right drivers for the printer.

Thanks for your patience and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

P.S.: during this, we will also find out the correct port, normally you should not even have to select one, but that should be done fully automatically by the driver.