Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a canon mg 2120. i always print in black ink, so

Customer Question

i have a canon mg 2120. i always print in black ink, so always i replace the black ink only and never i have replaced the color one. i have installed refilled inks with bad results, so i just use oem canon cartbridge only (black only). now the impresions are ilegible (see picture please), i buy a new cartbridge, adjusted the lines using the canon software, aligment as well, but continue the same. how can i resolve this? this is the end of the life of the printer?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Good morning Alexander,

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it). This is often caused by the use of refilled inks which can damage the printhead permanently.

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2011 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

.

Expert:  Nathan replied 30 days ago.

Just checking in, do you need more help with this?