John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have an epson xp400 printer. I bought a new wifi and now

Customer Question

I have an epson xp400 printer. I bought a new wifi and now the printer light for wifi lights up and i cannot access the choices. What do I do? I have already unplugged it many times.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That sounds like a worrisome situation.
Does the WiFi light stay On steadily?

When you say, you cannot access the choices, what exactly do you mean? what choices did you try to access and how did you try to access them, please?

Having bought a new WiFi (I presume you mean a new Wireless network router box) you will need to re-do

A. the printer's own connection-to-WiFi settings

and

B. the computer's installation of the printer's drivers, to correspond to the new WiFi

unless you have configured the new WiFi router box to have exactly the same SSID or wireless name, and exactly the same WiFi passphrase, as the previous WiFi router box had - in which case, (A) may not be necessary. (B) will still be necessary though.

Let me know, please, so that I may advise you further in sufficient details to help you solve this problem. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The wifi light on printer blinks. Im the directions I read online it says to go into the printer menu and change the wifi setting but the menu is unaccessible with the wifi light blinking.Yes wireless network box which is a Belkin and i had that brand before but my old one died and needed to buy a new one. need to be able to access the printer menu and I cannot.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
pls respond online I am hard of hearing and phone is not easy

OK.

First, unplug the Belkin WiFi router box.

Second, power Off the printer for 10 + minutes, at least.

Third, once that time is past, turn On the printer, and try to go to the Settings for WiFi, and change them to match the new Belkin router box's SSID name, and WiFi passphrase.

Fourth (*if* you can get past the point of difficulty in step Third) then you turn On the WiFi router box, and let the printer connect to it - in several minutes the WiFi light should be On steadily, if that happens and all is well.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will get back to you in 15 min to see if that works. Pls hold for more info
I unplugger the wifi from the modem. I left the printer off for 15 min. I turned the printer back on and now the power light snd the wifi light are blinking on the printer and I cannot ccess the menu.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
R U still there?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Neither of the above steps is working.

I am here.

Did you say the POWER light is blinking on the printer?

Why did you replace your Belkin WiFi router box, in the first place, please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
both lights are blinking on the printer. I replaced the Wifi because the other one was old and broke, so the Belkin people say. The new one is working as far as the computer but not the printer. The steps you told me did not work, unfortunately.

I understand that the situation is difficult. But there may be a way through the difficulty.

If the old one was broke, did it still provide internet to the computer, please? this is an important point.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, it did not, but the new one does. I called Belkin and they tested it online and said I needed a new one.

OK, good so far.

But please do this:

don't just disconnect the new Belkin from the modem... in fact, I did not need for you to do that.

Disconnect the new Belkin box from the power. Turn it Off in other words.

Then go through these steps again, please... having the Belkin box 'not there' for the printer to try to connect to, may free up the printer so you can reconfigure it:

- Power Off the printer for 10 + minutes, at least.

- Once that time is past, turn On the printer, and try to go to the Settings for WiFi, and change them to match the new Belkin router box's SSID name, and WiFi passphrase.

- (If you get past the point of difficulty in the previous step) then you turn On the WiFi router box, and let the printer connect to it - in several minutes the WiFi light should be On steadily, if that happens and all is well.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK I will get back in 15 min
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Unless I attach the router to the computer not the wifi I cannot access online and our chat is ended. I use Metrocast internet and need to attach the router.

That's OK! you can power Off the router, but NOT detach it from the modem.

After getting the printer configured for the new Wifi, with the router Off, come back to this session, by going to this page:

http://www.justanswer.com/printers/9zx2k-epson-xp400-printer-bought-new-wifi.html

Thanks for letting me know the situation... this will solve that objection, I assure you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have done the above steps and there is no change.

Please do the instructions I last posted, which included leaving the Belkin box OFF for 10 minutes, and leaving the Epson printer OFF for 10 minutes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did that. No change. Belkin is now on and attached to modem. Computer working but not printer. Same lights blinking.

I'm sorry - it sounds as if your printer is 'broken'. But I'm not at all sure that you are following my suggested procedure, so that is an uncertain diagnosis at this point.

Since I cannot make progress with this case, I am Opting Out, opening it (and the Secure Remote Assistance request) to all other Experts in this category.

Thank you for your patience, meanwhile.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do I still have to pay you? And I DID follow the directions.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK I will wait for further info.