John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Can't install a new MFC-J985DW on my Granddaughter's old

Customer Question

Can't install a new MFC-J985DW on my Granddaughter's old Microsoft 7 laptop. Have successfully installed it on other devices here, Have downloaded the s/w successfully on my laptop & it works. DL s/w on GDs laptop takes me to the Wireless Setup of the MFC, then sees the device on the WiFi, but when I try to connect, it tells me to go to the Printer and perform the WiFi connection again.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Brother MFC-985DW, one day old.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: On my laptop, Toshiba w/OS10, the printer works fine. Also works with my Daughter & my iPhones. Can't get my GDs Toshiba laptop, identical model to mine, running Win7, to connect.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I don't think that you are comprehending my situation. I have one laptop & two iPhones that print to the MFC-985DW. I cannot get my Granddaughter's laptop to connect & print. I setup the other devices today, successfully, cannot setup my Granddaugher's.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Is the internet currently working fine on her laptop?

Can we do a remote support session, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer together with you?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help. Thank you,