Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I have printer set up to phone line with smart ring #.

Customer Question

I have printer set up to phone line with smart ring #. Cannot send or receive faxes.
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: 5 years - panasonic
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac, OSX yosemite
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Had it set up to separate phone line, but found I could use smart ring line.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your printer question.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 month ago.

when you say smart ring are you talking about the distinctive ring that the phone company sets up for you?

Also the ring type should have nothing to do with sending of faxes only receiving. So if the sending is not working there is some other issue. The most simple would be that you have the phone line connected to the port on the fax where an extension phone goes instead of the one that goes to the wall. Can you check and make sure that it is connected properly. Also that a phone plugged into that same jack or into the extension phone port on the fax gets a dial tone.