Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I am getting this message on myCanon pixma mp500: serial #

Customer Question

I am getting this message on myCanon pixma mp500:
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: serial # AAAB97372 pixma mp500
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: The type of print head is incorrect.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: about two weeks. I was printing and I tried to cancel it.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm just frustrated and can't access the menu either
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Sudipto. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP

Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 month ago.

Can you tell me the message ?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2005 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. At this point it has served its desinged lifespan nearly 4 times over and has greatly exceeded any value that could be reasonably expected of it.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi there, just checking in to see if you need any further help with this. If I’ve answered your question, please take a moment to rate my service, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. You are also welcome to reply back to me at no extra cost if I can be of any further assistance.

Thank you,