Richard, Technician
Experience:  Printer and scanner problem resolver for over 15 years
32989067

I have just bought a MFC-J5320DW and after loading the paper

Customer Question

I have just bought a MFC-J5320DW and after loading the paper and switching it on, then selecting 'Australia' I have been persistently getting 'Unable to Initialize AF' and telling be to turn the power off and then back on again but a terrible screech noise occurs and the whole thing repeats itself and I've been unable to get beyond this point.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: MFC-J5320DW. I bought it today and am trying to set it up.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC. How do I check which OS I am running currently?
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: This has been an issue for 30mins. I bought the printer 1hour ago.....I followed the instructions on the Quick Setup Guide up and after step 3 'set your country' the issue occurred.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Same screeching from the machine and again the same error message after I unplugged the power source
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Thanks

Can you remove the ink from the printer then power it off.

then using a Q-Tip with cleaning alcohol (or warm water if you do not have any), clean out the areas where the ink goes in.

Then use a damp cloth and wipe down the inside of the printer.

Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes

Then put the ink back in, power it on and tell me if it then prints correctly please

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I hadn't yet installed any ink cartridges when this installation error message appeared. It suggests I follow the touchscreen instructions to install the ink cartridges and the machine prepares the system for this...however the touchscreen keeps repeating the 'unable to initialize AF' error message instead
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Thanks then this confirms the issue

It is the printhead that has faulted. This is why it cannot intialize

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you