Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

I am just now learning to scan to an email using my brother

Customer Question

I am just now learning to scan to an email using my brother 7360N printer/scanner. I have the scanner driver open and have a document on the glass. It indicates that the computer/scanner are not connected. I have them connected via wi fi. How to I get the the scanner to recognize the computer. The printer works great, from the wi fi, but not the scanner
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Brother is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Jus
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac OSX
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Nothing, but I just now downloaded the scanner driver from online and installed
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Printers
Expert:  Shefin replied 6 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I amCustomerand I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Please follow the instructions given below.

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
  2. Choose Print & Fax (or Print & Scan) or Printers & Scanners.
  3. Hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.
  4. Then, click the + (plus sign that you see on the print & scan window, and not on the keyboard) sign to add printer. Select your printer from the list.

Note : Make sure that you are resetting the printing system before adding the printer.

Then, try scanning using ImageCapture. Follow the instructions in the link be;low.

http://www.switchingtomac.com/tutorials/how-to-scan-in-os-x-using-image-capture/

If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I followed your instructions. However, the Image Capture doesn't recognize any scanner, even after resetting the printer/scanner as directed. I did the resetting again, just to be sure.
Expert:  Shefin replied 6 months ago.

Are you using Mac OS X Sierra?

Do you have brother Control Center installed on your computer?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just installed the control center about an hour ago. And yes, have Sierra
Expert:  Shefin replied 6 months ago.

Sierra might have compatibility issues with the printer. Download and install the scanner driver from the link below. Then, try scanning again using ImageCapture and Brother Control center.

http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us_ot&lang=en&prod=mfc7360n_all&os=10030

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Unfortunately when I try to open the disk image it opens a window saying it can't be recognized. Weird since the scanner driver I installed earlier opened fine, but just couldn't recognize the printer/scanner, or thinks it isn't there--either way. Would it help to restart the computer?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sierra doesn't have incompatibility issues with the printer, so why the scanner?
Expert:  Shefin replied 6 months ago.

There is getting a lot of incompatibility issues with the scanner, even if it prints fine. Please restart the computer and try downloading and installing the scanner driver again.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The link you gave me to the installer driver doesn't open. The installer driver I used a couple days ago I reinstalled --it downloads fine but doesn't connect to scanner.
Expert:  Shefin replied 6 months ago.

Please go to the below link, select your operating system, and try downloading once again.

http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=us_ot&lang=en&prod=mfc7360n_all

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's the same one--doesn't recognize it
Expert:  Shefin replied 6 months ago.

Please go to the link given below, download and install the update.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1881?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Note : Please make sure that you are installing the update after downloading it. It is a big file, so it may take some time to get it downloaded.

Then, follow the instructions given below.

Then, try scanning.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Unfortunately I have to go to another appointment. It still doesn't recognize the disk image for this new download. Can I revisit this later? Clearly there is some sort of incompatibility issue here. Let me know if I can simply come back to this page later
Expert:  Shefin replied 6 months ago.

Please be back when you get time. Check your email, and be back to the same page.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I asked my techie son to help--he suggested plugging scanner into the computer directly(currently we use a time capsule for wi fi to devices). That allowed me to scan from the scanner itself to the computer. However, even with connected cable it doesn't allow me to scan using the scanner driver. And the scanner driver you had me download on the last message you sent wouldn't open on my computer.
So I can now use the scanner for the rare times I scan and email. Since I was not able to get resolution from your service, however, I don't feel I should pay the 23 bucks or whatever it is.
Expert:  Shefin replied 6 months ago.

Have you downloaded and installed the Apple update I have given to download? Use a different browser than Safari.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did, and I never did use Safari--I use Firefox
Expert:  Shefin replied 6 months ago.

After installing the update, please reset the printing system and then try scanning using ImageCapture.

Thank you.

S H E F I N