John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

The scan and the fax don't work. office jet pro 8500 at

Customer Question

Hi, the scan and the fax don't work.
JA: What is the machine's exact make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: office jet pro 8500 at least 10 years old I think.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Apple, I'm not sure what the operating system is.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: The fax hasn't worked for a long time. I tried the scan for the first time a couple of days ago and it said just price ok.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Can you do a photocopying operation, even just in Black, and see if the photocopying capability of the printer still works? It may seem rather cautious, but I think that establishing that basic capability is important.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm sorry, how do you do a photocopying?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It says insert memory device.

Put the machine into COPY mode, place a sheet face-down on the glass, and approve the copy.

If you got an 'insert memory device', you must have chosen a Scan... a Scan to Memory Device or Scan To USB probably.

(I regret that I am not able to offer Secure Remote service at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.)