Joseph Varner
Joseph Varner,
Experience:  Enterprise Support Specialist at Arthur J Gallagher
94318210

I have brother printer displaying an error message Unable to

Customer Question

I have brother printer displaying an error message Unable to print 49
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Brother is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: MFC990 CW about 18 months old
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: windows 7 i isolated the printer from the computer and cycled the power the message still comes up so i assume the operating system is not causing it i removed the paper tray and opened the rear door inspected closely to make sure there are no fragments of paper i accessed the firmware and reset the page count i dont know what elce to do
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: it stopped yeaterday
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: there were no signs of failure it worked the previous day normally then yesterday morning it failed on the first job'
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Sudipto. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP

Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 month ago.

Several conditions may cause the error message Machine Error 30, 33, 34 or 35 to be displayed on the LCD. This error may be the result of one of the following:

• The print head carriage is failing to return to its home position to the far right of the unit.
  • Both of the springs located on each side of the carriage is out of place.
  • The cartridge covers may not be locked securely in place.

Please follow the instructions listed below to correct this problem:

1. Press the INK button on the Control Panel.
  2. Using the dial pad, press 2 (Replace Ink). The display will prompt you PLS OPEN COVER.
  3. Pull the Scanner Cover release lever located under the Control Panel and lift the Scanner cover. The carriage should move to the left in order to replace the ink. If the carriage does not move to the left, your machine will require service.
    If your machine is still within warranty, click here to locate a Brother Authorized Service Center in your area or click here to obtain contact information for the appropriate Brother Customer Service Center. If you are out of warranty, use the link to locate a Brother Authorized Service Center in your area.
  4. After the carriage moves to the left, press down each cartridge cover and remove all ink cartridges from the machine. There are 2 springs located on each side of the carriage that hold the print head against the carriage assembly. They are thin silver springs approximately 2 1/2 inches, set at an angle.
  5. If the spring is out of place, press the spring back into place. You can use the spring on the opposite side of the carriage as a guide as to the correct position.
  6. If the spring is not out of place, reinstall each ink cartridge.
  7. After installing the ink cartridges, close the covers and verify they are securely locked into place. Your machine then prepares for a head cleaning and goes online. The LCD screen prompts you to verify if a new ink cartridge was inserted for each color you removed. For example, DID YOU CHANGE BLCK 1. YES 2. NO.
  8. Press 2 (No).

Note If you decided to place a new ink cartridge in for any of the colors when uninstalling and reinstalling the cartridges in the above process, press 1 (Yes). The machine will automatically go through a cleaning cycle.

Also this might be handy for you.To reset purge counter
1) Enter machine maintenance mode (on MFC240C all four photo/copy/fax/scan lights flash in maintenance mode). Care is needed in maintenance mode, otherwise critical settings may be inadvertently corrupted.
FAX models with numerical keypads: Press the Menu/Set, *, 2, 8, 6 and 4 keys within two seconds. (if you fail to complete the correct key sequence within two seconds, press the Stop key to try again).
Other (non-FAX) models: Press the Menu/Set and Black Start keys. Next press the “up arrow” key four times to enter the maintenance mode).
2) Press the 8 then 0 keys in the initial stage of the maintenance mode to call up the machine’s log information list (function code 80).
3) Press the Black Start key several times to scroll through the log information list to reach the purge counter. The purge counter is the 25th item in the list.
4) Press the 2, 7, 8, and 3 keys in this order to reset the purge count to zero.
5) Press the Stop/Exit key to return to the initial stage of the maintenance mode.
6) Press the 9 key twice to return to the standby state.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
These instructions are for a wrong model. Ours is a brother mfc990ce
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 month ago.

Don't worry the instructions is same for all the printer models, which have keypad on the them.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The error code is 49. Unable to print
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I dont have the buttons that you instructed me to presd
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Press
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I dont have a replace ink f7nction
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Mfc990cw
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do i tell it to replace ink
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 month ago.

As your printer has a touchscreen panel, you can follow the steps from the link below. As I will go offline for the day, I will open the question for other experts.

https://vimeo.com/52159314

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
May I have correct information for my printer please. The instructions can not be followed because they are for a different model. The error codes referenced are not what I reported. I was sent a generic document for correcting the problem that is not relevant to my model computer.
Expert:  Joseph Varner replied 27 days ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist!

So I did some research, and error 49 is a mechanical failure. It can pertain to one of the following:

Cause1:
Head flat cables and carriage-head flat cable
not connected correctly
Solution:
Correct those flat cables.

Cause2:
Main PCB defective
Solution:
Replace the main PCB.

Cause3:
Power supply PCB defective
Solution:
Replace the power supply PCB.

In all 3 cases, it means some part of the wiring or electronics has failed. If the unit is still under warranty, reach out to Brother's tech support at(###) ###-####for warranty replacement. Otherwise, it may be cheaper to replace the unit depending on the cost they quote you.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** probably have to replace the unit. But I will look inside to see if it is a simple termination problem.
Expert:  Joseph Varner replied 21 days ago.

Of course, and good luck! Also please rate my service above as well so my supervisors can keep tabs on how I am doing.

Thank you again!