John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I bought a Brother all in one MFC-J485DW. I had it set up on

Customer Question

HI John, I bought a Brother all in one MFC-J485DW. I had it set up on my computer. my Husband took the disc and installed it on his computer. I didn't want to share. I bought him the same model. installed it on his (after I removed the 1st disc installation on his) . I set his to be "not shared". When I went to print the test page (got his all set up and working) the test page comes to MY printer in my office. How do I set this so my printer won't be shared on his laptop so he prints from mine? I cannot pay Geek Squad 150 to come and look at this!!!!! HELP!!
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: They are only days old. They are both the exact model. MFC-J285DW
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Both are PC
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just now, when I installed his with his disc.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just wanted my printer to work on my computer, and his to work on his. but anything he prints comes to my printer!!
Category: Printers
Expert:  tyroneboman replied 5 months ago.

Hi ,

My name is***** am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

I will be glad to assist you with this.

Follow these steps to make the New HP printer default printer in windows.

It will be the HP in the list that does not have the Green check mark, it may also have a (1) or (copy) in parenthesis,

In Windows 7 click Start, click Devices and Printers.

Right-click the printer you wish to use as your default printer and select 'Set as default printer.' Right-click the printer icon again to verify that the correct printer is now set as the default. When the menu opens, a check mark should appear next to 'Set as Default.'

3. If a right-click menu doesn't display the 'Set as default printer' option, double-click the printer icon to display the Print Queue. Click on Printer and select 'Set as default printer' from the menu. A check mark next to the menu item or printer icon indicates that the printer is now set as the default printer. You can change your default printer setting at any time.

Let me know if it works please.

Did that work for you?