John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Copying or scanning using document feeder doesn't work. It

Customer Question

Copying or scanning using document feeder doesn't work. It keeps saying document will copy from glass with current settings. Most annoying when you have multiple pages to scan or copy.
JA: What is the machine's exact make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Expression premium XP-800, about 3 years
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I've really never been able to do it but lately it's become more of an issue
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's all.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you out and resolve the problem as quick as possible.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

1. Click the "Finder" icon on your screen's dock, and click the "Macintosh HD" icon located under the Devices section in the Finder's sidebar.

2. Double-click the "Library" icon to open the folder, and double-click the "Printers" folder.

3. Locate the printer's folder you wish to delete in the window, and drag the folder to the Trash icon on the screen's dock. Alternatively, click the folder you wish to delete, click "File" at the top of the screen and select "Move to Trash" from the drop-down menu.

4. Click "Finder" at the top of the screen, and select "Empty Trash" from the drop-down menu to remove the files from your hard drive. Click "Empty Trash" on the dialog box to confirm the action. Click "Secure Empty Trash" from the drop-down list to permanently delete the files.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

Reboot your mac and then follow the below steps given.

Connect a USB printer to your Mac

For most USB printers, all you have to do is connect the printer to your Mac. OS X automatically detects the printer and downloads any necessary software. For other printers, you may have to complete a few steps to add the printer.

1. Update your software: Choose Apple menu > App Store, click Updates, then install any software updates listed. Even if no updates appear, this ensures that OS X has the latest information about printer software it can download from Apple. If you don’t do this, you may see a message that software isn’t available when you connect your printer.

2. Prepare your printer: Use the instructions that came with your printer to unpack the printer, install ink or toner, and add paper. Turn on the printer and make sure it’s not displaying any errors.

3. Connect your printer: Connect the USB cable to your Mac. If you see a message prompting you to download new software, make sure to download and install it.