Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.
30037186

It tells me the printer is an error state and I don't know

Customer Question

It tells me the printer is an error state and I don't know what to do with that.
JA: What's the make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Brother - model MFC-J5620DW. I think it is a little over a year old.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC. Windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It's been an issue for maybe a month. I have another computer and it will print. But, it is inconvenient because I don't have the stuff on it that I have on this one. This one works better with the internet too.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I guess not.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Is the printer wireless or is the printer connected to the computer with a USB cable?

Can we do a remote support session, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer together with you?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Are you able to open Control Panel on the computer?

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help. Thank you,

Solution #1:

1. Disconnect the power cord(s) from the internet modem / router device(s) for about 3 minutes, then re-connect

2. Then turn off the printer, then disconnect the power cord from the printer for a couple of minutes, then re-connect, then turn on printer

3. Then wait a few minutes.

4. Then click on the Start button (which is the windows logo icon located at the bottom left of the computer's screen), then click on Settings (or gear icon)

; (Or press at the same time the two keys Windows log and i on the computer's keyboard, then the Settings window will appear.)

, then there, click on option Network & Internet. Then click on Wi-Fi option if your computer is wireless, then click on Advanced options if shown (scroll down first as needed), then make sure to turn ON the option Make this PC discoverable. (Or click on your wi-fi / wireless network name, then make sure to turn ON the option Make this PC discoverable.)

; (if your computer is not wireless, then click on option Ethernet, then click on Ethernet (Connected) on the right, then make sure to turn ON the option Make this PC discoverable.)

5. Then wait a couple of minutes, then check printing.

Solution #2:

- If that does not work, please try the following:

STEP 1:

1. Right-click on the Start button (which is the windows logo icon located at the bottom left of the computer's screen), then click on Control Panel.
    ; (Or press at the same time the two keys Windows log and R on the computer's keyboard, then type control then click OK, then the Control Panel window will open.)
  2. There, open Programs / Programs and Features, then there, uninstall the Brother program if shown.
  3. Then open Control Panel again
  4. There, open Hardware and Sound / Devices and Printers,
  5. Then there, right-click on the Brother printer, if it's still showing there, then click on option Remove device, and confirm Yes / OK to delete it for now. Make sure there is not any Brother item showing there for now.

STEP 2:

1. Click on the Brother website below:

http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcj5620dw_us_eu&os=10013&dlid=dlf101058_000&flang=8&type3=11

2. Then there, click on Agree to the EULA and Download at the bottom to download / save the file called MFC-J5620DW-inst-C1-us1...

3. Then open the download file J5620DW-inst-C1-us1 and install it

; (if needed, press at the same time the two keys Ctrl and J on the keyboard in order to see the Downloads window.)

4. Once the installation is finished successfully, then check printing.

- (Note: If there is issue downloading at the above website, then click on the website http://tinyurl.com/hewken3 to download the file MFC-J5620DW-inst-C1-us1 and run / open / install it.)

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help. Thank you