Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

When I try to print envelopes using Word on my iMac, I keep

Customer Question

Hi John. When I try to print envelopes using Word on my iMac, I keep getting a "filter failure" error and the item will not print. I don't have any problems printing a regular Word doc on regular paper. I'm also getting this message when I try yo print certain screen shots off the computer (but not all).
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Sorry, I have a MX922.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I have a Mac and I'm using Sierra, 10.12.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I noticed it happening for a month or so for the screen shots but I just tried to print envelopes yesterday. I don't think I've tried that before. I've only had the printer for about 6 months or so.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's the only problem I seem to be having. My use needs are pretty simple. Thanks Pearl.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 month ago.

Lets try a clean deletion and then reinstall of the printer driver.. Heres how,

Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
Click Printers & Scanners.
In some versions of OS X, this preference is named Print & Scan or Print & Fax.
Control-click anywhere in the list of devices on the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the shortcut menu that appears.

Once the printing system has been reset.

Click the + button on that screen and reinstall the printer.. Once installed, test print and see if you still get the filter error.

Let me know whether this works, or whether you need further assistance when you can, thank you.

Dustin S