Richard, Technician
Experience:  Printer and scanner problem resolver for over 15 years
32989067

I changed 2 of my cartridges yesterday. Then the printer

Customer Question

I changed 2 of my cartridges yesterday. Then the printer wouldn't work, as the 3rd cartridge was empty. I replaced the 3rd cartridge today, and now it won't work as it tells me that the first 2 cartridges I replaced are depleted.
JA: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?
Customer: HP OFFICE JET PRO 8600 , CARTRIDGES 950 / 951 XL
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: MAC OS X 10.5.5
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: The printer said that the cartridges were empty and it stopped printing
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is no change when I unplug the printer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Thanks

Can you remove the ink from the printer then power it off.

then using a Q-Tip with cleaning alcohol (or warm water if you do not have any), clean out the areas where the ink goes in.

Then use a damp cloth and wipe down the inside of the printer.

Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes

Then put the ink back in, power it on and tell me if it then prints correctly please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have followed your instructions, but nothing has changed, the message still says that 2 of the cartridges are depleted.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

ok, it is possible the cartridges have faulted. Replace these cartridges and tell me if it then functions correctly please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The cartridges are not faulty. I know this because when I originally replaced them the printer recognised them as full. it was only when i subsequently replaced the 3rd cartridge the following day that the printer told be the previously replaced ones where depleted. Obviously the printer was confused, by me not replacing them all at the same time.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

ok, but this does not mean that the cartridges have faulted either through a short or contact error.

There is no way for you to know this apart from testing different cartridges.

The computer does not get confused not does it store progress but queries the cartridges for this information

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, I will order some more cartridges and see if the problem is solved. This is a very expensive solution, if I need to throw away 2 new cartridges. Do you think I can ask for a refund from the shop I bought them in?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

yes, it would confirm the cartridges are faulty, it is either this or a faulty print head so we need to do this to confirm which of the two it is.