John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Wf 7620 I can receive faxes but when I attempt to send I get

Customer Question

wf 7620 I can receive faxes but when I attempt to send I get a busy signal before it rings
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hello Stephen,

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) Is this a dedicated fax line, or a shared voice/fax line?
2) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)
3) Do you have dsl service on the same line?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it is a shared phone fax line, it is a line from fiberoptic service that also serves our computer needs
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

That is the most likely source of the problem, this type of digital phone line is not designed for fax use. Faxes are analog devices and have difficulty transmitting on a digital line because of the noise and compression, which is why you aren't able to even dial properly.

There are a few settings we can try to adjust though,

go into the fax settings menu on the epson, under send settings, and set that to slow,

then set the ECM function to OFF,

try a test fax and let me know the results.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I set the speed to slow and turned the ECM function to off and the results were the same. I get the busy signal before it finishes the dialed number sound
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Is the fax plugged into a modem, or just a regular wall jack?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
wall jack
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Okay can you please plug a regular phone into that same jack and test if you can get a dial tone on it and call out on it successfully?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it works to call out, we have used this fax line for some time we just changed to the Epson machine from a HP
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Can you go into the fax settings again under line type and try changing it to PBX and then test sending again

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no change
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for checking,

Can you double check one more thing for me: Look on the back of the printer - are you certain you have the cord in the right spot - the phone cord needs to be in the #1 (line/wall) jack, not in the #2 tel/ext jack

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it is in the #1 line not the ext jack
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for trying, can you also try turning the Dial Tone Detection to OFF and test again,

it may also be worth trying to add several pauses before the number, so it has time to dial the full set of digits