John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I attempted to insert a new printer cartridge and the

Customer Question

I attempted to insert a new printer cartridge and the message is that the printer is out of ink. Turn off and on again. Nothing works. I can re-insert the old cartridge and the system works. However, of course it says there is no ink. I believe the new cartridge is malfunctioning.
JA: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?
Customer: The printer is a HP Officejet Pro 8600. The cartridge is a new 950XL Black.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I'm using a PC Windows
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I printed in color yesterday. Today when I wanted to print, it said the black was empty. So I attempted to put in a new cartridge.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I just want to be able to get a replacement for my cartridge.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 2 months ago.

Hello, and Thank You for choosing JustAnswer.com
My name is ***** ***** I am reviewing your question now, please stand by for 1 or 2 minute for reply.

All new printer cartridges come with TAPE on them, to protect the exposed electrics.

.

So, you need to make 100% sure you remove all the packaging tape that would be stuck to it.

Typically this tape is in the color of orange, to see it better.

But sometimes you get blue tape.

Either way, you have to make sure you have removed all the tape from the ink cartridge.

If you dont , the cartridge wont work at all.