GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience with both Mac and Windows hardware & software
76665483

Xp 420 epson has plenty of ink, but does not print fully,

Customer Question

xp 420 epson has plenty of ink, but does not print fully, missing letters etc.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 6 months
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: mac power book
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: has been an issue off and on. uses a lot of ink, but just checked and ink is ok. never really been a smooth running printer
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this.  This is a common problem with ink jet printer that are not used frequently. The ink that is left in the nozzles can dry up and clog the nozzles.

You can clean the print head using the control panel on your Epson printer.

1. Load a few sheets of plain paper in the product.
  2. Press the home button, if necessary.
  3. Press the left or right arrow button to select Setup and press the OK button.
  4. Press the up or down arrow button to select Maintenance and press the OK button
  5. Press the up or down arrow button to select Head Cleaning and press the OK button.
  6. Press the button to begin the cleaning cycle.

Caution: Never turn off the product during a cleaning cycle or you may damage it.

The power light flashes throughout the cleaning cycle and stays on green when the cleaning cycle is finished.
  7. Select Nozzle Check and press the OK button to run a nozzle check to confirm that the print head is clean.

If you don’t see any improvement after cleaning the print head up to 4 times, turn off the product and wait at least 6 hours. Then try cleaning the print head again. If quality still does not improve, one of the ink cartridges may be old or damaged and needs to be replaced.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page. I'd really appreciate it! Without a positive rating I am not credited for my answer. If this doesn't solve the problem be sure to let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.